- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup toasted pecan halves
- 3 large eggs
- 8 tablespoons chilled pastured butter or coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar (coconut crystals)
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 10 Medjool dates, pitted (or enough dates to make 2/3 cup purée)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 4 eggs
- 6 tablespoons pastured butter or virgin coconut oil (room temperature)
- 2 tablespoons dark molasses
- 1 tablespoon dark rum (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup plus 2/3 cup toasted pecans, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup toasted pecan halves (for topping) – about 23 pieces
- Toast the pecan halves (total of 2 1/2 cups) on a sheet pan in a 350 degree oven for about 7 minutes. Separate.
- Chop 1 cup plus 2/3 cup of pecans roughly in the food processor. Remove chopped pecans.
- Combine the coconut flour, 1/2 cup pecan halves, fat (either pastured butter or virgin coconut oil), coconut sugar and salt in food processor and pulse until combined and pecans are finely chopped.
- Add the eggs and pulse until a dough is formed.
- Spread the dough evenly into the bottom and sides of a 9 1/2 inch tart pan.
- Place the pitted dates in the food processor with the applesauce and maple syrup. Process until dates are completely puréed and you have a smooth mixture.
- To the bowl of a stand mixer add the date purée, eggs, fat of choice (butter or coconut oil), molasses, rum, vanilla and salt and mix on medium speed until well-combined.
- Place the chopped pecans into the bottom of the prepared tart shell.
- Pour the filling into the shell.
- Decorate the top with the remaining 1/3 cup of pecan halves.
- Place the tart onto a sheet pan and bake in the oven at 350 degrees for approximately 45-50 minutes. Check the tart at 30-35 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack.